Showing posts from January 2, 2011

Fletchers - Legal and Contractual issues

The Information Update mentioned in the previous post contains additional interesting pointers as the how Fletchers intend to conduct the rebuild process. The extract below is their position, as of November 2010, on how various legal matters will be handled.

The fourth paragraph is significant for "claimants", as they call us. It could be a good, or a bad, thing depending on how involved any of us might want to be.

Legal / contractual
Prior to commencing work, contractors will be asked to sign a short form (two page) contract agreement, along with Fletcher (as agent for EQC). This will be the principal document governing all work that the contractor/tradesperson performs under the EQR programme. Each new job will be initiated by a contract instruction containing details of the job.The contractor will be responsible for the work it performs, and for that of its subcontractors, as in any normal contracting arrangement.The contractor will be the responsible party under …

Repair work - Fletchers and Quality Control

Continuing with the quality theme, most of us will be out of our depth trying to determine whether work done on our behalf is of an acceptable quality and if suitable materials have been used.

Those who are "fortunate" enough to have a level of damage that puts us into the $10,000 to $100,000 band, have the opportunity to let Fletchers undertake it all for us. While little has been heard from Fletchers they do seem to be working away in the background.

On the 3rd of November Fletchers posted a newsletter, Information for  Contractors and Tradespeople Update # 1, on their website. Aimed at contractors and tradespeople who may be interested in working with Fletchers it sets out the basics of what will expected of contractors etc. by Fletchers, and what they can expect from Fletchers. The newsletter can be found here.

The topics covered by the newsletter are:
PurposeProject management structureAccreditationLegal / contractualMaterialsPayments and PricingInsurance  Adherence to …

Competent tradespeople - Licensed Building Practitioners (LBP)

A big unknown is who can be considered a suitable trades person when we need something looked at and fixed. The advice from the Department of Building and Housing is to choose a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP).

The LBP scheme, which is administered by the Department of Building and Housing,  is designed to confirm that building practitioners are competent, and provide confidence to building owners. All LBPs are accountable for what they do via a complaints procedure operated by the Building Practitioners Board.

The Department of Building and Housing has a list of LBPs throughout the Canterbury region. You can find it here.

Background information about the LBP scheme can be foundhere.

EQC - Complaints update

EQC have changed the information on their complaints page so that it reads:
"So, if you have questions or complaints about the service you have received or your claim, you can contact us and we will look into your concerns and get back to you."The words in bold are what has been added. It is not clear whether this refers to the assessment of the claim, or the handling of the claim.

The EQC page ishere. 

Rebuilds - Salvaging items from the old house.

As with the previous post, the material here has been lifted directly from information developed in response to a list of questions from the CCC. It was provided by NZ Earthquake Commission and was correct as at the 24th of Dec 2010. A copy of the full response can be downloaded fromhere. 

It covers the situation where a homeowner wishes to remove items from their house before it is demolished.  Under some circumstances this is not permitted because the items belong to the insurer (EQC or insurance company). For instance, an ornate fire surround, hallway arch, or ceiling rose may have sentimental value. However, as they are attached/built-in to the house, they are considered part of the house and belong to the insurer. Note - I am not a lawyer so treat this as an unqualified observation and get professional advice before doing anything.

Transferring assets between properties
In situations where a building has to be replaced, people can remove any undamaged contents or ch…

Claims management for the Canterbury Earthquake (Detailed)

The material below has been lifted directly from information developed in response to a list of questions from the CCC. It was provided by NZ Earthquake Commission and was correct as at the 24th of Dec 2010. A copy of the full response can be downloaded fromhere.

The paragraphs are not numbered in the original but have been here so particular items can be highlighted.

The material details the processes involved in making assessments, and what type of activities may take place. It seems different from what some have encountered and may reflect changes made in light of experience gained in the early assessment period.

Para 5. is key to the issue we have discussed of "what happens if we don't agree with the EQC assessment?".  Mention is also made of the EQC complaints procedure so, presumably, it is another avenue for challenging aspects of an assessment. Not mentioned in the paragraph is that, in some circumstances, EQC will refund the cost of an independent ex…

EQC response to questions from CCC

The CCC has added more to its web page Answers to questions raised at recent Council community meetings.

The CCC put a number of unspecified questions to both the EQC and the Insurance Council of New Zealand. There is no sign of a response from from ICNZ however EQC provided a large response which is available for download from the CCC here.

Topics covered are:

EQC Insurance
EQC CoverEQC's role and responsibilities
Canterbury Earthquake Claims Management
Claim DeadlinesClaim targetsClaims management for the Canterbury Earthquake (General)Claims Management for the Canterbury Earthquake (Detailed)##PrioritiesEQC ContactsEQC AgentsEQC Community EngagementFuture Insurance Cover## This information will be the next item posted on this blog

Land Remediation
Relevant parties in the land remediation processLand remediation for zones A, B, and CZone AZone BZone CProcess for land remediationLand remediation costsImpact on land property valuesHouse damage of less then $100,000 + GST with lan…

Cost of the Earthquake - RBNZ report

The headline news from the Reserve Bank's Monetary Policy Statement for December 2010 was that the total cost is now expected to reach $5 billion. Of this $3 billion will be for residential rebuilding and repairs, with the balance accounting for business and infrastructure repairs and rebuilding.

The Monetary Policy Statement, which covers all the key factors affecting the NZ economy, contains a section on the earthquake. That section includes a statement about the effect of the earthquake, along with information on the latest cost projections, estimates of the time that may be needed to carry out the repairs, and other impacts associated with the rebuilding activities. Some extracts from the report are below. The whole report can be found here.

The impact of the Canterbury earthquake

Initial impact

The short-term disruption to household and business activity following the Canterbury earthquake is estimated to have reduced GDP growth by 0.1 percent of GDP in the September …

Earthquake-hit churches - Anglican

The website for Anglican churches in Christchurch has a page with photographs of their  churches which have been damaged by the earthquake and it's aftershocks. The page ishere.

Our own Holy Trinity is featured, however their website does not seem to be working. The Christchurch Cathedral website has earthquake items here.   Onthis pageyou can find photographs of St John's Anglican church in Hororata.

Earthquake-hit churches - Catholic

Links to photographs of damaged churches and buildings can be found on thispage. Pictures of St Paul's, Dallington, are here. 

There are also links for those looking for assistance or information.