EQC, Civil Defence and other agencies produce a range of information sources that are useful pre and post earthquake. New Zealand’s highly variable geography and geology means that the information is of a general nature.
For those who want to do a bit of research on earthquake preparedness for a city with some characteristics similar to Wellington, the San Francisco area offers a range of useful resources (click on the name to go to the website).
- Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) Earthquake and Hazards Program
- Association of Bay Area Governments Housing Vulnerable to Damage in Earthquakes
- Association of Bay Area Governments Shaken Awake! Creative Ways to Strengthen Housing and Promote Community Resilience
- Association of Bay Area Governments The REAL Dirt on Liquefaction
- Bay Area Earthquake Alliance
The US Geological Survey (USGS) published Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country in 2005 as a handbook for those living in the San Francisco Bay Region. While not intended for a New Zealand city, it does provide a wealth of information yet to be emulated here in New Zealand. A copy can be downloaded here.