EQC - FAQ Update

EQC have made extensive changes to its FAQ, adding new areas of information, and supplemented or deleted existing material. There is too much change to be able to note it all here, however many of the highlights are listed below.

Some of the answers are useful, most of the others are disappointingly inadequate. It is still worth a look, especially the information about private insurance assessments "over the cap" (your insurance company doing the assessment instead of EQC), towards the end.

The FAQ is here.

EQC Coverage
  • Does EQC cover commercial property and loss of stock etc?
  • Who covers medical expenses like broken glasses or false teeth damaged by earthquakes?
  • What is not covered by EQC?
  • What do I do if I don’t have insurance?
  • What happens if my property was or is damaged by an aftershock?
  • I have no insurance and my chimney is not safe. Can I get an EQC assessor to look at the damage at no cost?
Claims Process
  • What is the payment process for claims?
  • What do I do if I have or find additional damage since lodging a claim?
  • What do I do if I have a question about my claim?
  • What if my property is red stickers and/or I am unable to access my property to lodge a claim?
Claims - Contents
  • I need to clean up my damaged contents. If I get a tradesperson or company to remove the damaged contents or I take the damaged contents myself to the tip – can I claim back the removal and tip fees from EQC if I have a claim?
  • What information do I need to provide to prove the value of damaged items?
Claims - Land
  • What is being done about land remediation?
(click on the link below to see the rest)


Full Assessments
  • What is a Full Assessment?
  • Who is being visited for Full Assessments?
  • How are Full Assessments being prioritised?
  • Will I need to be home for a Full Assessment?
  • How will I know when I’m getting a Full Assessment?
  • What happens after the Full Assessment?
  • Who can help with temporary accommodation if my house is uninhabitable?
  • How long from the date of the final assessment will it take for me to be notified in writing from EQC as to the extent of the damage?
Rapid Assessments
  • How does EQC define houses with severe structural damage?
  • What happens if I think your rapid assessment is wrong?
Damage and Repairs
  • Can I organise someone to do emergency repairs now?
  • Can I arrange for a contractor of my choice to carry out my repairs?
  • Should I get the sewer pipes between my house and the road checked even if there is no obvious evidence of damage?
  • I am in a wheel chair and my wheelchair access has been damaged, how can I get this fixed?
  • What should I do if my house needs emergency repairs?
  • What’s the maximum amount I can receive from EQC to repair damage to my home?
Private Insurance Assessment over the Cap (100,000 + GST)
  • Who will manage the building works for my home once paid out?
  • Will my insurance company or I be paid?
  • Will I be notified that the Private Insurance Assessment from my insurer is valid and my claim situation is passed onto my insurer?
  • Will I be notified if the Private Insurance Assessment is not up to scratch, and the assessment is refused?
  • What is EQC looking for from Private Insurance Assessments?
  • How soon will this Full Assessment be processed?
  • Will I still get a Full Assessment from EQC of my home anyway?
  • What is the process for submitting an insurance assessment?
  • Are we accepting private insurance assessment over the EQC cap ($100,000 +GST)?
Winter Heating Programme
  • Will you fix my chimney?
EQC Services
  • Is there an office in Christchurch I can visit to discuss my claim in person?
NOTE: it has been redesigned and updated again. See the May 3 post  here.
    .

    Popular Posts