Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Avonside, Burwood and Dallington Information

The Council has a page dedicated a webpage to issues concerning water, sewage, stormwater, roading and the river. It is supposed to be updated regularly and can be found  here:

EarthquakeFIX - website about Contractors and Tradespeople

The following is from the introduction to the website:

For your peace of mind use only competent and qualified tradespeople and contractors.
"I am delighted to support the initiative to put together a website, EarthquakeFIX, to provide a one-stop portal where Cantabrians can research and engage local reconstruction professionals from plumbers and electricians to builders and civil contractors." Bob Parker, Mayor

The website is here:

Essential Contacts

The contacts listed below are from the Government website .

They were current as of 12/11/2010.

Essential contacts

Earthquake Government Helpline (24 hours): 0800 779 997

A 24/7 service for people requiring information on income support, housing options, health issues, community assistance, Civil Defence or any other government service.

Healthline (24 hours): 0800 611 116

The service is staffed by registered nurses who will assess your health needs, and give information and advice to help you decide on the best level of care.

Earthquake Commission (EQC): 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243)

For information on EQC’s insurance cover, cleaning up and making a claim.

Christchurch City Council customer services: 03 941 8999

For assessment of major structural damage to your home or business premises or for help with essential council services such as water supply or sewage disposal.

Federated Farmers helpline: 0800 FARMING (0800 327 646)

For information, advice and contacts for Canterbury farmers (weekdays 8.30am - 5pm).

Business helpline: 0800 42 49 46

Information for business owners.

Sewage and Stormwater

If you have, or suspect you have, a problem with your stormwater and/or sewage you have until the 4th of December to lodge a claim with EQC. Check here:

Grants and Assistance

The council has a list of grants and assistance that can be applied for here:

City Council "Recovery" newsletter

The Christchurch City Council has an e-mail based newsletter that goes out quite frequently with information and updates on earthquake recovery issues. We have been receiving it for a while and find it to be very useful, especially as we rarely get a newspaper.

You can subscribe to it on this page:
Copies of previous newsletters are available at the bottom of the same page.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Government website - ministerial announcements

Ministerial announcements detailing the Government's response to the Canterbury Earthquake.
Click here

Government's website - Stronger Canterbury

Government website "Stronger Canterbury" - has information about grants available to residents affected by the quake and essential contact numbers. Click here.

EQC - information releases and newspaper advertisements.

 * EQC information (not their standard web site pages, something more useful consisting mainly of copies of the newspaper advertisements).  Click here for their website


Welcome to the blog.

A meeting held on the 10th of November agreed to incorporation of a society to help promote the interests of residents in our little part of the world. Check out the About page (see top right) for more information.

Lawrence Roberts